THE BUZZ ABOUT TINNITUS
Causes of Tinnitus:
- Hearing loss
- Ear/ Sinus infections
- Foreign objects or cerumen (wax) in the ear
- Nasal allergies which produce fluid drainage
- Noise exposure
- Injuries to the head
- Neck/shoulder pain and/or stiffness
- High doses of aspirin
- Cancer medications
- Malaria medications
- Cardiovascular disease
- Jaw Misalignment
Treatment is available to manage tinnitus! Since tinnitus is a symptom of an underlying condition, it is important to first identify and address the cause. As a result, the following steps are taken in our clinic.
- Comprehensive audiological evaluation assessing the function of the entire ear including the middle and inner ear regions. We utilize high-frequency audiometry and Otoacoustic Emissions to help detect early loss of inner ear function.
- Tinnitus evaluation to assess the pitch and loudness of the perceived sound. Loudness discomfort levels are measured in cases of poor loudness tolerance.
- We have specialized training and years of experience practicing Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT). This technique can provide long-term relief by allowing the brain to learn to ignore the tinnitus sounds. There are devices available that can accelerate the process and bring faster relief in some patients.
- Some tinnitus patients require hearing amplification. Only a thorough diagnostic evaluation will let us know. If this is determined Clear Choice uses Sound Options which provides a clinically-tested and FDA cleared sound therapy designed specifically for each tinnitus sufferer. After a hearing and tinnitus assessment, the treatment is designed by specialized software that embeds a customized sound therapy into music.The sound therapy is embedded in music to provide a relaxing and enjoyable way to manage your tinnitus at your convenience.
The initial assessment/diagnostic evaluation is the first step in crafting a personalized long-term treatment plan for you.